May Contain Nuts
A Very Loose Canon of American HumorBook - 2004
An entertaining anthology featuring the work of seventy distinguished literary humorists features the whimsical essays and witty thoughts of drive-in movie critic Joe Bob Briggs, Daniel Radosh's Powerpoint Anthology of Literature, and works by Roy Blount Jr., Henry Alford, P. J. O'Rourke, Phil Austin, and Tom Gliatto, as well as a food section, zany tributes, a timely newscrawl, and other features. Original. 25,000 first printing.
Nutritiousness aside, May Contain Nuts provides 100% of the daily recommended amount of that essential life-enhancer, laughter. With more than 70 contributors and 150 shots from the loose canon of American humor, it's a stellar edition with plenty of real stars from stage and screen(writing):
• Seinfeld's Peter Mehlman • Hairspray's Mark O'Donnell • Ed's Michael Ian Black • and the world's most famous drive-in movie critic, Joe Bob Briggs
Plus, there's Roy Blount Jr. on how to travel "Southern" outside the South; summer recipes from our man in the kitchen, Henry Alford; Firesign Theatre's Phil Austin's yuletide "Tale of the Old Detective"; P. J. O'Rourke's not-so-intimate "Diary of a Country Gentleman"; Daniel Radosh's "PowerPoint Anthology of Literature"; and Tom Gliatto's helpful overview of today's thriving cabaret scene. With umpteen illustrations, many perplexing charts, and our first centerfold ever, this volume is party-sized for your reading pleasure.
New in This Issue
- a comprehensive teacher's guide
- a food section (including a transcript from Van Gogh's early cooking show)
- up-to-the-minute newscrawl
- a preview of the new all Law & Order Network
- "Blues for Advanced Beginners"
- Ingenious and iffy tributes to Orson Welles, Dale Earnhardt, Beck, John Edwards, and Celine Dion